- It is the joule and it has the symbol J.
- The same was true of James Joule's experiment in which water was warmed quantitatively by stirring it in special apparatus: a definite quantity of mechanical force in the clockwork produced a definite quantity of heat-but the context of this was argument about the nature of heat, and Joule seemed to have proved that it was motion of particles rather than a substance.
- IN framing controversial proposals for a US energy tax, President Clinton gave a new lease of life to the British thermal unit, which the UK has abandoned in favour the joule based on the metric standards adopted in Europe.
- We used the standard in-line four-probe contact configuration and kept the d.c. probing current small (10-;100A) to minimize Joule heating effects.
- The 400 joule answer is correct if the load is moved from floor to floor, or the man always holds the load and moves from floor to floor.