- An example was ultrasound, suggested by a zoologist whose colleague's "bat detector", which receives sound in ultrasonic frequencies, had picked up a strong signal emanating from a nearby ancient site.
- Screwdriver blades might have a retractable sheath or ultrasonic guards, for example.
- Yet it is in the inner ear that the returning ultrasonic echoes are received, and where one might expect to find problems.
- There was an outburst of ultrasonic pulsing in February 1979, starting 8-;10 minutes before sunrise at new moon and 25 - 35 minutes before sunrise at full moon.
- The principle horrified hi-fi buffs when it was first announced, because it chopped the sound wave up at an ultrasonic rate and described each "slice" as a binary number.
- The use of high and low frequency ultrasonic waves in polymer chemistry is followed by polymerisation together with references.
- Aspect, Dalibard and Roger have produced such an optical switch by exciting an ultrasonic standing-wave in a cell of water.
- In autumn 1978, ultrasonic pulsing at two-second intervals was recorded at dawn at the King Stone.
- Computer-aided design/computer-aided management (CAD/CAM); Applications of finite element techniques; Design and development of heat transfer systems as applied to tools for diecasting and injection moulding; Service performance of explosive welds; processability of polymer and polymer/additive blends; Alloying of polymers, including interpenetrating networks; Modified burning characteristics of polymers; Advanced engineering composites; Effect of moisture and low-energy impact on carbon-fibre reinforced first generation and toughened epoxy resins; Processing, structure and property interaction of fibre reinforced thermoplastics; Composite type rubbers; Robot kinematics and dynamics; Frictionless hydraulic actuators; Metal forming; Machine tool performance; Computer analysis of component roundness; Dynamic stability in cutting; Finite element modelling of EDM parameters; Automatic control of ram movement and strip feeds of hydraulic press; Blood flow analysis and bone necrosis; Ultrasonic evaluation of adhesive-bonded metal structures.
- Go further up and you reach ultrasonic frequencies where the noise can be heard by dogs and not humans.
- The latter invention was an accidental discovery, made when a faulty recording amplifier developed ultrasonic oscillations, and the reason why it worked was very difficult to explain.
- All the roofs will be surveyed using traditional techniques, but detailed investigation, using a range of monitoring equipment including infra-red thermography, ultrasonic pulse-echo testing and strain gauges, will be carried out on a smaller sample.
- And if we can learn more about their sensitivity to ultrasonic sounds, we may finally grasp how they can "know" that someone is approaching from a great distance.